“Hmm, I’ll start my diet on Monday…”
“I’m starting at the beginning of the month!”
“2016, new me!”
You proceed to eat terribly and treat your body like crap
You forget about your plan to start your diet
You hate the way you look
You make another plan to start a change
… and the cycle continues.
How can you truly commit to changing your life? How do you get motivated?
I was reading a blog called Zen Habits, and the author mentioned some factors that get in the way:
-fear of change
-not wanting to be uncomfortable
-fear of failure
-not having time
-not knowing how
She mentioned these factors are more like excuses, and yes, she’s right! Get over it!! It comes down to one thing, how bad do YOU want it?
So it’s time to C-H-A-N-G-E!
- What’s your goal? When setting goals remember to be realistic, give yourself t-i-m-e. The best advice I’ve ever received was not to focus on the goal, but to focus on the journey. Start with how much you’d like to weigh, or are you working on losing body fat? Be specific, and try not to be too hard on yourself. Once you have a clear focus on what you’d like to improve, it’s easier to motivate yourself daily and push yourself harder!
- Enjoy the change! Don’t think of it as a “diet” but as a lifestyle change. Start slow! Dedicate a day for healthy eating and fitness,
Then try dedicating a week,
Then a month,
Then two months.
- Allow it to come natural.
- Maybe you can start by eliminating soda, and fried foods. Or maybe adding a detox tea to your daily diet.
- A lot of times we dive-in to a fitness journey head first, without even testing the waters and seeing if this is actually something we can do. In some instances that may work for you, but just know that it’s okay if it doesn’t.
- Invest in yourself!! You may have to sacrifice some of your usual relaxing time for a quick workout. Or you may have to wake-up a little earlier to prepare a healthier breakfast, or to pack a lunch.
- Get organized!! Create a large calendar where you can check off your daily workouts as you complete it, or a notebook where you can write down everything you eat.
G E T – M O T I V A T E D!!
- Create a music playlist that makes you do nothing else but want to get up and dance! It can be your favorite songs! It doesn’t matter!
- Wear something that you feel comfortable in!
- Drink lots of water pre-workout, and try to have a pre-workout protein snack so you can have energy to actually complete a workout!
- In addition to a pre-workout snack, also include a post-workout protein shake as well (it can be something to look forward to, yum!)
- Workouts can be fun!! If the gym is intimidating to you, or you don’t have time to get to one, there are tons of fun exercise videos on YouTube, and OnDemand that you could try! And once you find the right one for you, stick with it!
- You actually have to EAT! You can’t lose weight by not eating, so eat-eat-eat! It’s easier to “cheat” on your diet when you’re starving and you feel like you need something quick. The key is to never get hungry!!
**I included one of my many workout playlists, lol don’t judge me! Haha…enjoy!**
- Feeling Myself – Nicki Minaj ft. Beyonce
- Make Me Proud – Drake
- Ima Boss – Meek Mill ft. Rick Ross
- Mama Got Ass – Juvenile (lol)
- Moment 4 Life – Nicki Minaj
- Walk Thru – Rich Homie Quan
- Work Out – J. Cole
- Partition – Beyonce
- Fly – Nicki Minaj ft. Rihanna
- Play No Games – Big Sean ft. Chris Brown and Ty Dolla $ign
- Ambitious Girl – Wale
Most times, the anxiety of starting a health journey scares us. Just know, the hardest part is getting started… So what are you waiting for?